jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Wed Feb 12 17:12:39 EST 2003

Hmmm...

I would like to make an argument for including picture books, simply
because good ones, like good longer novels or chapter books, are
incredibly rich and complex and contribute every bit as much to becoming
a reader as do longer books.  Of course there are bad ones as well, just
as there are bad novels.  But that doesn't mean that we should dismiss
them all out of hand.

My favorite "first day of class" question is, "But, Dr. Stallcup, these
are (pause for effect, wrinkle nose) picture books!  How are earth are we
going to be able to write a whole two pages about one?"  And of course,
by the end of the third or fourth week, they can see that we could, if we
wanted to, write an entire book about one picture book if we really
wanted to.

As someone who is immersed in picture books in my daily life, I say, more
power to 'em!  They made me a reader!  If I were to list my childhood
favorites, which I haven't because really, that just seemed like a
daunting task, picture books would rank right up there with the chapter
books and novels...

Jackie S.