Wed Feb 12 16:05:39 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:08:25 -0600, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

>>I often get the following (authors as well as books, obviously):  Judy
>>Blume, Beverly Cleary, Dr. Suess, Where the Wild Things Are, Rainbow Fish
>>(erg), Love You Forever (double bleagh),
>>
>I'm amazed at how many adults love this book and think that children
>will too. Don't get me wrong, I love Robert Munsch, his "Paper-bag
>Princess" "Stephanie's Ponytail" and "Thomas' Snowsuit" are some of
>my favourite books to read and read aloud. Kids adore them. Kids
>respond less enthusiastically to "Love you forever". I think it's
>some adults' idea of what kids will like - but it's just too
>heart-on-the-sleeve for kids to sit still for more than once.

I once heard someone suggest that the problem with _I'll Love You Forever_
was that it was intended to be tongue-in-cheek humor, but the illustrator or
the publisher read it seriously.  I like it a lot better if I think of it as
hyperbole.  Otherwise...bleagh.

And you're right that adults seem to love this one more than kids do.  I
most frequently hear it referred to in church.  :)

Melissa Proffitt