hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 12 15:51:13 EST 2003

Widdy:

>>  Love You Forever (double bleagh),
>

>I'm amazed at how many adults love this book and think that children
>will too. Don't get me wrong, I love Robert Munsch, his "Paper-bag
>Princess" "Stephanie's Ponytail" and "Thomas' Snowsuit" are some of
>my favourite books to read and read aloud. Kids adore them. Kids
>respond less enthusiastically to "Love you forever". I think it's
>some adults' idea of what kids will like - but it's just too
>heart-on-the-sleeve for kids to sit still for more than once.

We all *loved* _The Paper-bag Princess_.  So much fun.  I'm not sure
about _Love You Forever_, but I'm getting a bad feeling that it was
something the kids other grandmother read to them.  Becca thought so,
but found it disturbing to remember too closely!

Another one I'd have expected to find on people's lists is _The
Giving Tree_.  Seemed to have pride of place in a lot of pre-schools
in the US when we were there.  I did a violent swing against it (we'd
loved reading a lot of Silverstein's poems to Becca) after clicking
onto the fact that the Tree was female, and her role was to give and
give and mutilate herself to try to satisfy this horrible Boy.
(Yeah, Weird Readings Ltd. - that's my name.)

>widdy
>who still can't believe he didn't add "How the Grinch Stole
>Christmas" at the top of his favourites!

:-)  Here we go again!  We have a cassette of Becca "reading" the
entire thing almost before she could talk.  It's amazing - she'd
memorized everything, caught the inflection I'd used in reading it to
her perfectly, while sounding almost as if she were speaking Chinese
at times.

Hallie.