Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 12 15:49:22 EST 2003

>widdy who still can't believe he didn't add "How the Grinch Stole
>Christmas" >at the top of his favourites!

I think the kind of books we discuss on this list sort of predispose us,
when asked to name childhood favorites, to think of reading books as opposed
to picture books.

Most of the books on Jackie's list are books I would classify as picture
books. I suspect that people who name picture books as their favorite
childhood books are people who were less avid readers than the average
person participating on this list. Not that I have anything against picture
books, I love picture books and we have a huge collection of them - three
shelves full in Roi's room, which is a lot if you consider how skinny they
are. But when I think of childhood favorites, I think of books I enjoyed
*reading*, not books I enjoyed looking through or having read to me.

Roi's favorite book right now is "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". Usually he
doesn't have much concentration for other books. He also has two "Spot"
books that he likes because he can press the buttons to make a lot of noise,
he's a very noisy little boy. His mummy would rather read him "Where the
Wild Things Are", "Little Bear", "Babar the Elephant", "The Gruffalo" -
actually, ANYTHING that is not the noisy Spot books. But it seems that at
this stage in his life, Roi thinks the three most important things to look
for in a book are:

1. does it make interesting noises
2. does it have holes you can stick your finger in
3. does it taste good

I sincerely hope his criteria change later in life.