Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 15:04:19 EST 2003

--- jstallcup at juno.com wrote:
> This is very interesting--I also always start my
> children's literature
> courses with getting the students to name their
> favorite childhood books,
> and I don't think that Blyton has ever come up.
>
> Dahl only comes up very rarely (often, when my
> students are exposed to
> Dahl as adults, they're horrified by him.)
>
> I often get the following (authors as well as books,
> obviously):  Judy
> Blume, Beverly Cleary, Dr. Suess, Where the Wild
> Things Are, Rainbow Fish
> (erg), Love You Forever (double bleagh), Guess How
> Much I Love You,
> various fairy tales (Cinderella most often), and
> lots of different animal
> stories that I can't remember off the top of my
> head.  When we look at
> the list on the board, that's usually the first
> common element that
> someone notices--lots of animals.
>
> But I'm intrigued by Blyton coming up for you.
> Remind me where you
> teach?  I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority
> of my students have
> never even heard of Blyton.  My mother, however,
> loved Blyton's books
> when she was growing up here in the 40s and 50s.  (I
> teach in Southern
> California.)

I suspect that Blyton is British phenomenon that never
really established in the US in the same way. She
wrote an enormous volume of stuff, over 600 titles, so
for children growing in Britain or Australia there was
a good chance that anything they read was by Enid
Blyton. It is interesting to note, however, that quite
a few websites devoted to her are from the European
continent, this also applies to Biggles.

Jon