jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Wed Feb 12 14:18:44 EST 2003

This is very interesting--I also always start my children's literature
courses with getting the students to name their favorite childhood books,
and I don't think that Blyton has ever come up.

Dahl only comes up very rarely (often, when my students are exposed to
Dahl as adults, they're horrified by him.)

I often get the following (authors as well as books, obviously):  Judy
Blume, Beverly Cleary, Dr. Suess, Where the Wild Things Are, Rainbow Fish
(erg), Love You Forever (double bleagh), Guess How Much I Love You,
various fairy tales (Cinderella most often), and lots of different animal
stories that I can't remember off the top of my head.  When we look at
the list on the board, that's usually the first common element that
someone notices--lots of animals.

But I'm intrigued by Blyton coming up for you.  Remind me where you
teach?  I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of my students have
never even heard of Blyton.  My mother, however, loved Blyton's books
when she was growing up here in the 40s and 50s.  (I teach in Southern
California.)

Jackie S.