Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 12 08:52:22 EST 2003

> > There was a series called the Abbey books or something like that. I
> > can't
> > remember anything else about them now!

Rosie replied:

> By Elsie J. Oxenham - see
> http://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/usrpages/collect/popular.htm for
> further details.

That's it! Thanks. I had no idea there was a whole series of them.

> > A book called Exile for Annis, whose author I can't for the life of
> > me
> > remember. I should actually have this book somewhere, but can't put
> > my
> > finger on it.
>
> By Josephine Elder. The two sequels are Cherry Tree Perch and Strangers
> at the Farm School.

You're right again! I'm *sure* that book is lurking about somewhere. I
didn't know there were any sequels.

> > Elfrida Vipont, The Lark on the Wing and others in the series whose
> > titles I
> > can no longer remember.
> > About a young girl in a Quaker community (I think) who becomes a
> > famous
> > singer.
>
> The Lark in the Morn, The Lark on the Wing, The Spring of the Year,
> Flowering Spring, The Pavilion.

You're amazing--and I'm amazed that someone else has read all of the books
I've mentioned in this email. I remember all of the Vipont books you've
named except the last one, which I don't think I ever read.

> > What Katy Did--forgotten the author. Kate Seredy?
>
> Susan Coolidge.

Yep--can't think how I didn't remember that one.

> All these are favourites of mine too, but the only one I read as a
> child is What Katy Did.

So did you read all the others as an adult? I thought some of them might no
longer be available.

Ros