Rosie Hopkins rosieburroughs at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 08:30:59 EST 2003

 --- Abe Gross <argross at bigpond.net.au> wrote: > Here are some of the
books I remember loving when I was growing up in
> the
> 50s and 60s (in Australia), up until about the age of 14 or a bit
> older.

> There was a series called the Abbey books or something like that. I
> can't
> remember anything else about them now!

By Elsie J. Oxenham - see
http://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/usrpages/collect/popular.htm for
further details.

> A book called Exile for Annis, whose author I can't for the life of
> me
> remember. I should actually have this book somewhere, but can't put
> my
> finger on it.

By Josephine Elder. The two sequels are Cherry Tree Perch and Strangers
at the Farm School.

> Elfrida Vipont, The Lark on the Wing and others in the series whose
> titles I
> can no longer remember.
> About a young girl in a Quaker community (I think) who becomes a
> famous
> singer.

The Lark in the Morn, The Lark on the Wing, The Spring of the Year,
Flowering Spring, The Pavilion.

> What Katy Did--forgotten the author. Kate Seredy?

Susan Coolidge.

All these are favourites of mine too, but the only one I read as a
child is What Katy Did.

Rosie