Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 12 06:04:58 EST 2003

Here are some of the books I remember loving when I was growing up in the
50s and 60s (in Australia), up until about the age of 14 or a bit older.
There are no DWJ books mentioned here because she wasn't writing yet!

Enid Blyton, The Noddy books when I was very young, then the The Faraway
Tree books (a teacher read them aloud to us and then I borrowed them), The
Wishing Chair books, the Famous Five books, The Secret Seven books.

Superman, Superboy, Supergirl and sometimes Batman comics. I had already
read as many as I could get, when I went to a new school in Grade 6, and a
boy in my class has a whole box of them and lent them to me. I thought all
my birthdays had come at once.

The Chalet School books. I got one as a present one year and then couldn't
get enough of them.

There was a series called the Abbey books or something like that. I can't
remember anything else about them now!

A book called Exile for Annis, whose author I can't for the life of me
remember. I should actually have this book somewhere, but can't put my
finger on it.

A.A. Milne's books of poems, as other people have already mentioned. Our
mother used to read them aloud to us.

The Amazing Mr. Whisper and a sequel, by Brenda Macrow (I think). I borrowed
these from the public library and never saw them again after we moved from
the area. I'd love to read them again but I believe they are almost
impossible to find or borrow.

Elfrida Vipont, The Lark on the Wing and others in the series whose titles I
can no longer remember.
About a young girl in a Quaker community (I think) who becomes a famous
singer.

Little Women and Good Wives.

Lotti and Lisa, by Erich Kastner, mentioned by someone else recently. I
loved this, and I loved the movie The Parent Trap starring Hayley Mills.
(Now I think it's silly, of course.)

Edith Nesbit, Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet and The Story
of the Amulet, the last being my favourite. Was The House of Arden written
by Nesbit as well? I loved that one as well.

Geoffrey Trease, Cue for Treason.

Jade Snow Wong, Fifth Chinese Daughter

What Katy Did--forgotten the author. Kate Seredy?

C.S. Lewis,The Narnian books

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen, and then other Alan Garner books.

There were two fantasy or maybe 'magic realism' books that I read when I was
in Grade 6 and about 12 that I've never been able to find again. One was
called The White Room and might have been by Elizabeth Beresford (but that
doesn't sound right). It was about an unhappy woman who gets trapped in
snowstorm and has a transformative experience (and probably not really a
fantasy book). I can't remember either the title or the author of the other
book, but know that it was about a strange family, whose deep and dark
secret ends up being that they are really partidges. If anyone can identify
eithe rof these books, BTW, I will be eternally grateful to them!

I'm sure I'll remember some more soon!

Ros