arty games

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 11 22:36:10 EST 2003

>I won't ask you directly but I'm finding it
>interesting to see the various reactions to
>Fitzgerald by his countrypeople. He seems to be a
>hot topic for a lot of people due to coming with
>an awful lot of cultural baggage. I mean like I
>(in the UK) just read TITN and TGG in my twenties
>to see what people were on about! I suppose its a
>"great american novel thing". I was wondering
>what authors provoke this kind of reaction over
>here but the only one I could think of was
>Dickens (again) who seems to cause probl;ems
>everywhere. Comments from Ireland, Australia etc
>etc?

I always resisted reading Gatsby because of its Great American novel
reputation, until a friend whose judgement about books I trust insisted
that I should teach it for this semester. I think it is a great work merely
on the basis of his use of language. I am not so sure about the great,
American tag. I find the racism in the book unsettling.

Robyn