Nan Chauncy - (was Childhood favourites)

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Tue Feb 11 20:58:22 EST 2003

> As Nan Chancy is/was (?) Tasmanian I guess that even
> almost makes her an honorary Scandinavian (any
> thoughts on this Sally?) the nickname for tasmanians
> is Taswegians.

She wasn't born here, but lived here for many years. I met her daughter
Heather once in the 1980s - a most redoubtable lady in tweeds. I liked her a
lot. Nan died some time before that.

I liked They Found a Cave, World's End was Home, Half a World Away best and
remember them with great affection. However, they weren't especially
"familiar" to me, because they were set well before my time, and in a part
of Tas I didn't (still don't) know well. I've seen Capra Cave though - now
that was a thrill!

I would guess she's the best known "Tasmanian" writer... arguably? Like
(Kiwi) Margaret Mahy, her stuff was pubbed in the UK, which gave her a much
wider audience than if she'd been locally published.
And yes - we're hon. Scans,

It's sad though - many of the people we calim as Taswegians or Aussies were
actually born elsewhere.

Sallyo (7th generation Tasmanian - and arguably Tasmania's most published
*living* author!)

She wrote about a dozen novels from the