hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Feb 11 05:57:19 EST 2003

Rosie:

>Read to me:
>C.S. Lewis: Narnia series
>J.R.R. Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings
>Barbara Willard: Mantlemass series

Oh yes!  I only read _The Lark and the Laurel_, but I loved it.

>Arthur Ransome: Swallows and Amazons series
>Lloyd C. Douglas: The Robe and The Big Fisherman
>And plenty of others ...
>
>Discovered myself:
>DWJ
>Rosemary Sutcliff
>Geoffrey Trease

I forgot to put _Cue for Treason_ on my list too.  Poor Cara (12 and
in 1st Year) discovered that they could have read CfT for English
this year - instead they're reading Adrian Mole.  She is not
impressed.

>Henry Treece
>Ronald Welch
>
>I went more for historical fiction than fantasy in those days. But I
>used the same technique on DWJ and Rosemary Sutcliff. In both cases I
>started with a book I found too difficult (Fire and Hemlock, The Eagle
>of the Ninth), and decided to work my way up to it by reading all the
>others the library had. Only I could cope with Eagle by the time I was
>ten or eleven, and I didn't manage F&H until I was more like sixteen.

I'm starting to wonder now what would have happened if my kids had
read F&H to themselves, instead of having it read to them.  So many
people have said they couldn't manage it, or didn't appreciate it
until older, and our experience was so different.  Probably did help.

Hallie.