Obscure Childhood favorites

Abigail Gawith A.Gawith at tarragon-et.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 13:18:11 EST 2003

Hallie wrote:

[_The Land of Green Ginger_]
> and then was really chuffed to see the extract from it in the
> stories DWJ selected.  _Fantasy Stories_?  I'm losing it.

Yep, _Fantasy Stories_.  I was pleased to see it in there too.  I always
thought the chapter headings in _Howl's Moving Castle_ must have been
inspired by it.

> >_Bogwoppit_, Ursula Moray Williams
> >_Grimble_, Clement Freud
> >_Bottersnikes and Gumbles_, S.A. Wakefield
> >_The Hunting of Shadroth_ and _The Green Piper_, Victor Kelleher
>
> Are these among the more obscure or is it just me?

I thought they probably would be, yes.  The first three are delightful,
worth seeking out from the library; the two by Kelleher are rather sinister,
and creeped me out to exactly the right degree in childhood.  I'm not sure
how well they'd hold up now.

> >_The Secret Garden_, Frances Hodgson Burnett
> Has no one mentioned that?  That's odd.

Oops, someone probably has.  I was ill last week and came back to an
absolute deluge of digests - I could well have missed a title or two.

> >The _Paddington_ books by Michael Bond
> I think I forgot these as they were read when I was much younger than
> a lot of the others.

Likewise, and the Wombles too - but I came back to them over and over
throughout my childhood, so I thought I'd stick them in.  I'm 25, by the way
- and spent the weekend putting my books into alphabetical order after
moving house, which helped to refresh my memory!

One more obscure favourite: Nicholas Stuart Gray.  I loved his short
stories.  Sadly, I read them from the school library, and they're expensive.

Abigail.