Obscure Childhood favorites

Joe Joe.Nankivell at ucd.ie
Tue Feb 11 12:21:53 EST 2003

On 10 Feb 2003, at 23:13, Charlie wrote:

> but I BOW DOWN IN GROVELLING AWE before the genius of Jansson (is this
> getting a bit icky?).

Not at all. In fact I'll join you. Tove Jansson is one of two writers
who inspire me to hero-worship. The other... well, I was absolutely
delighted when I found the Hobgoblin's hat in DWJ's fantasy stories
anthology.

> My absolute favourite is Moominland Midwinter, I
> think.

I like that one too. Or Mooninvalley in November. Any where she
manages to get the slightly tiresome Moomins out of the picture
and concentrate a bit more closely on the more interesting
characters. Snufkin was one of the strongest role models I've met
in a work of fiction - don't know what that says about me. Little My
probably would have done me more good.

Joe