Childhood favorites

Laurie Puszczewicz lpuszcze at indiana.edu
Tue Feb 11 11:08:42 EST 2003

There are also the books by Anne Pellowski which trace a Polish-American
family from the mid19th century to about the 1960s or so.  I can't
remember all the individual titles, but one was subtitled "Anna's story,"
one was "Anna Rose's story" and the later two were "Betsy's story." Each
new one was the story of a descendant of one of the original girls, so you
found out what happened to the earlier characters. I
loved them because they were some of the very few books I could find that
talked about Polish people (check out my last name).  And they had a
Polish to English glossary in the back that explained the words used in
the book.

Add me to the list of people who love _Understood Betsy_.  Talk about a
subtly empowering book for girls...

Laurie

Laurie A. Puszczewicz
M.L.S. student
A.I., Dept. of Spanish and Portuguese
Indiana University
"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
 -Jorge Luis Borges