Eco, Dickens, who else?

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Feb 11 10:28:28 EST 2003

>>Incidentally, do you know why Eco called it _The Name of the Rose_?
>>It's to stop people forming preconceptions about the book before
>>they've actually read it. If he'd called it, say, _Murder in the
>>Monastery_, everyone would immediately form a mental picture of what
>>the book is like, and a lot of people would avoid it for reasons that
>>didn't actually apply (or read it and then blame the author because it
>>wasn't what they expected). "The Name of the Rose", however, could
>>mean any one of so many different things that preconceptive apparatus
>>is paralysed with indecision, and the reader is forced to take the
>>book on its own merits.
>
>I think the name of the novel also had a lot to do with the way he
>was playing with language. In the original Italian there are a lot
>of puns and plays on words that revolve around the idea of the name
>of the rose. They didn't make it into the English version, because
>they naturally enough don't work in English. I think in Italian the
>title is much less counter-intuitive.
>
>Robyn

That makes perfect sense. I know I get a little miffed that Eco
doesn't translate his quotes for those of us who don't speak 15
languages, but I didn't think he'd be that obtuse.

I will admit that I enjoyed the "hunt" through the Lating though!

widdy

--
Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net