Obscure Childhood favorites

Joe Joe.Nankivell at ucd.ie
Tue Feb 11 09:51:46 EST 2003

On 11 Feb 2003, at 13:52, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> > Abigail:
> > >_Bottersnikes and Gumbles_, S.A. Wakefield
>
> Hallie wrote:
> > Are these among the more obscure or is it just me?

I have it somewhere in my loft if you want a loan...

> It can't be obscure, I've read it... it's a *lovely* book

It's definitely on my top five too. I remember weeping with laughter
as a nine-year-old. But rereading it a year or two ago had me
wondering about their biology: they all seem to be boys...

>Full of marvelous details. I must reread
> it. And are there sequels?

I've never been able to find them, but seemingly there are at least
three: _Gumbles in trouble_, _Gumbles on guard_ and _Gumbles
in Summer_. All out of print & last published in 1984 in the UK as
far as I can tell. Aussies might find more recent editions - but they
seem to be OP too.

_Grimble_ would also be on my list as well as Abigail's - and is
also OP, which is hard to account for since in an interview with
Amazon JK Rowling cited this as one of her 3 childhood favourites
and one of the funniest books she's ever read. You'd have thought
publishers would have jumped at the chance to get that in a blurb.
Neil Gaiman has a short riff on it in his blog:
www.neilgaiman.com/journal_archives/2002_05_01_archive.asp
which gives you a flavour.

Cheers,
Joe