fantasy monarchies

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 19:01:07 EST 2003

 Jon wrote:
> Where fantasy books have governments
> that aren't absolute monarchies they tend to be

set in
> worlds that are close analogies of our own (eg
the
> world of the Chrestomanci)

and Jennifer replied
Or they are corrupt councils of merchants (that
may well be an OMT as
well!). Often Our Heroes come from a monarchy and

visit a wicked foreign
country, and are shocked to discover the nasty
commercial types in charge.

Robin Hobb's Liveship books are a welcome change
from this, here we have the merchant's council
efforts to keep control of their city rather than
yield it up to the local Satrap (a weak ruler
btw).

=====
Ven