: Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies)

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 18:54:41 EST 2003

christian wrote

<the real reason i don't like the books anymore
is
not because of the
narrative, which is actually chock full of good
things. i just can't bear
his writing anymore. it's really exceedingly
overdone. he could've doen the
same books in half the wordage. at the most. he's

fond of repeating
metaphors that aren't even that good to begin
with. i crave brevity.

I know what you mean but I like density, an
author can go on for as long as they like so long
as there is plenty of, of stuff (no better word).
What put me off Williams,iirc in the first book
of MS & T  was a long section where everyone
(tourists, companions and guides) have to go off
into a desert for about twelve days and then come
back out again. Again irrc aside from attaining
the object of this trek notjhing much happened
but TW seemed to have to narrate every bloody
boring mile every bit of character bicker and
banter til I could have screamned *Just give me
some plot godammit or failing that just sack a
nunnery!"

i also really began to hate the characterizations

of all of the races. i
don't understand fantasy races and their boring
cliched racism against one
another and their pathetic tendency to have very
specific and different
social norms so that people can be shocked and
offended all day. i got
really bored of this convention of fantasy and
it's one of the reasons i
think i stopped being able to enjoy or take it
seriously.

That is a gem of a rant, christian.

i recently reviewed a game that took this
convention as fantasy gospel and
used it in almost every dialogue sequence. i
wanted to brain the scenario
writer after an hour or two.

heh heh

=====