Lunacy

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Feb 10 17:45:24 EST 2003

Helen:

>>  >Am I the only woman on here who thinks that the notion of a 28-day cycle
>>>is bunk anyway? I don't think I know anyone whose cycle is 28 days (& many
>>>women I know have cycles that aren't regular, period [snarf. no pun
>>>intended], much less a 28-day cycle). I feel like it's mostly a myth, like
>>  >the "women ovulate on day 14 of their cycle" thing.

>Warning, too much information alert (not gross, though):
>
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>I have a 27-29 day cycle, frequently 28 days to the point where I
>can say "Okay, it'll probably show next Tuesday." (This is without
>outside hormones -- I am one of the few women I know who has never
>used hormonal birth control.)

Add me in on the hormones.  But I'm more like 25 days - and I think
my cycle got shorter after my pregnancies.  Grumble.

>If I lived somewhere/when without calendars, the moon would be
>extremely useful for giving me a general sense of when my period was
>likely to show up, which is really all one can count on anyway. The
>fact that the moon cycle is slightly longer wouldn't matter all that
>much.
>
>My mother's cycle was almost exactly 35 days, again, to the point of
>knowing which day of the week it was likely to start.
>
>By the way, women who live together do tend to menstruate at the
>same time, and they tend to be more regular. There ought to be a
>pheromonal therapy for irregular periods one could base on this,
>though it wouldn't do away with any underlying pathology such as
>PCOS. Didn't work for me and my mom, as she was 40 when I was born
>and into perimenopause by the time I hit puberty.

Hasn't worked in our house.  Though I'd better not go into details
(I'd be shot!  I wasn't even allowed mention the fact that we had
"Even the queen" written (in red marker) on our bathroom wall, along
with all the other quotes), one of the girls had irregular periods
for ages - of the one every 3+ months variety - the other was
irregular at more like 21 days.  And this is a small house, so we
really live together!

Hallie.