Obscure Childhood favorites

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Feb 10 17:37:03 EST 2003

Abigail:

>Instead, I offer childhood favourites of mine that I don't think anyone's
>mentioned yet, some of which are pretty obscure:
>
>_The Land of Green Ginger_, Noel Langley

I've mentioned it, but not for ages, and not as a childhood
favourite, as I didn't discover it until a few years ago.  I picked
it up never having heard of it, and loved it, and then was really
chuffed to see the extract from it in the stories DWJ selected.
_Fantasy Stories_?  I'm losing it.

[snipping some I've at least heard of]

>_Bogwoppit_, Ursula Moray Williams
>_Grimble_, Clement Freud
>_Bottersnikes and Gumbles_, S.A. Wakefield
>_The Hunting of Shadroth_ and _The Green Piper_, Victor Kelleher

Are these among the more obscure or is it just me?

>_The Hundred and One Dalmatians_ and _The Twilight Barking_, Dodie Smith

Oh yes.  First literary argument Becca ever had was over THaOD.  My
mother read it to her, and Becca insisted that it wasn't as good as
the film.  I think she was about 4, so it wasn't bad for then.

>_The Secret Garden_, Frances Hodgson Burnett

Has no one mentioned that?  That's odd.  I'd have thought someone
would have either _The Secret Garden_ or _A Little Princess_ on their
list.

>The _Paddington_ books by Michael Bond

I think I forgot these as they were read when I was much younger than
a lot of the others.  Just guessing from your list, I'd say that had
given me a lot more time to forget them than reading at a similar age
would have given you.

Hallie.