Connie Willis

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Feb 10 16:42:54 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

> I would highly recommend "The Doomsday Book". A historian travels
> back to the early 1300s. And that's about all I can say without
> giving it away. It deals, in some part, with how 21st century Oxford
> and 14th Century "Oxford" deal with a similar threat. Well worth the
> time to read.

I read _Doomsday Book_ (note--no "the") a few years ago, after having it
recommended to me by a bunch of people whose opinions tend to be similar
to mine. It *was* fascinating, and brilliantly researched, and
well-written and characterized; and I am never reading it again because it
hurt too much. It hurt in sort of the same way as "Schindler's List,"
which I hope isn't too much of a spoiler.

I read _To Say Nothing of the Dog_ last summer, because of rave reviews
from this list, and loved it. I found it quite funny, not in the
laugh-out-loud way of a first reading of _Good Omens_, but still funny.

Xander: So, are we Bronzing it tonight?
Willow: Wednesdays, kinda beat.
Xander: Well, we could grind our enemies into talcum powder with a
	sledgehammer, but, gosh, we did that last night.
		--"When She Was Bad," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"