Connie Willis

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Mon Feb 10 16:33:05 EST 2003

"The Doomsday Book" is another book by Willis that deals with time
travel researchers at a future Oxford. Both Dunworthy and Finch are
prominent characters.

However, it's quite a bit heavier than "Dog". Not morose or as
intense (i don't think) as "Passage". But just as brilliantly
researched and well-written.

I didn't find "Dog" hysterical, but it was amusing. I've been finding
as I read Willis' books that even if the first hundred or so pages
are less than thrilling, at some point I'll get caught and pulled
through the rest of the book.

I would highly recommend "The Doomsday Book". A historian travels
back to the early 1300s. And that's about all I can say without
giving it away. It deals, in some part, with how 21st century Oxford
and 14th Century "Oxford" deal with a similar threat. Well worth the
time to read.

blessings

widdy

>What is the Doomsday Book?  Also by Willis, do you mean?  I just finished
>To Say Nothing of the Dog too, but I read it in conjuction with Three Men
>and a Boat, which it also has much in common with.
>
>I enjoyed To Say Nothing of the Dog, but I didn't find it funny (the
>cover leads one to believe it will be hysterical--it's not).  Three Men
>and a Boat is much funnier (I kept waking my husband up laughing at it in
>bed).   Still, it's a very good book--very rich and allusive, lots to
>keep you thinking.  If some of the same characters are in the Doomsday
>Book, I'll have to go read that as well.
>
>Jackie S.
>
>On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 23:39:32 -0600 "Ian W. Riddell" <iwr1 at psu.edu> writes:
>>  I've just finished (and thoroughly enjoyed) "To Say Nothing of the
>>  Dog" by Connie Willis. I enjoyed the fact that it took place in the
>>
>>  same "universe" as "The Doomsday Book" and shared a couple of
>>  characters.
>>
>>  Do any of her other books share this universe?
>>
>>  widdy
>>
>>  --
>>  "We don't need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do's and
>>  don'ts:
>>  we need books, time, and silence.  Thou shalt not is soon forgotten,
>>
>>  but Once upon a time lasts forever."
>>         --Philip Pullman

>-
>>
>>  Ian W. Riddell
>>  Instructional Materials Designer
>>  Penn State World Campus
>>  210 Rider Building II
>>  University Park, PA  16801-4819
>>  (814) 571-3124
>>  --

Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons
exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be defeated.
G.K. Chesterton

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net