Connie Willis

Mon Feb 10 16:31:27 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:37:34 -0800, jstallcup at juno.com wrote:

>What is the Doomsday Book?  Also by Willis, do you mean?  I just finished
>To Say Nothing of the Dog too, but I read it in conjuction with Three Men
>and a Boat, which it also has much in common with.

_Doomsday Book_ is by Willis and is set in the same universe as _To Say
Nothing of the Dog_; time travel is still the central conceit.  However,
they are VASTLY different books.  _Doomsday Book_ is serious and in some
ways rather depressing.  The present and the past parallel each other, and I
found I had to read it several times to fully appreciate it.  Which is not
to say it's obtuse or anything...just that while some of the parallels are
blindingly obvious, others aren't.  It's also a Christmastime book, and I
try to read it at that time of year, along with _The Dark is Rising_ and a
few others set in that season.

Melissa Proffitt