Lunacy

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Feb 10 13:28:35 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> "It has been shown that calendar consciousness developed first in women
> because their natural body rhythms corresponded to observations of the moon.
> Chinese women established a lunar calendar 3000 years ago. Mayan women
> understood the great Maya calendar was based on menstrual cycles. Romans
> called the calculation of time menstruation, meaning knowledge of the
> menses. In Gaelic, menstruation and calendar are the same word."

And a slightly connected thing--in Judaism, Rosh Hodesh, the first day of
the month and the new moon, is a women's holiday. No, I don't know why,
but it seems like the moon is associated with women much more often than
it is with men. Artemis, for example. I don't know if there was some big
cause way back when, or if different cultures came up with the correlation
on their own, or what.