Obscure Childhood favorites

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Feb 10 12:55:45 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> and one I truly hope I'm not the only one to have read and loved:
> _Understood Betsy_ by Dorothy Canfield Fisher

Eeeeee! That was always one of my favorites. I think I took it out of the
elementary school library repeatedly. And I was planning on mentioning it
in the fat and lit thread, too, because Betsy is another one like Mary in
_The Secret Garden_ who starts out thin and pale and unhealthy, and ends
up strong and brown and sturdy. I really liked the message of "assume
someone is competent, and they'll usually prove you right."