Obscure Childhood favorites

Mon Feb 10 11:34:55 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:50:20 +0000, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>and one I truly hope I'm not the only one to have read and loved:
>_Understood Betsy_ by Dorothy Canfield Fisher

I just bought this a couple of years ago, having longed to own it for years.
Come to think of it, this may have been something I read before my literary
awakening.  The edition I have has a rather patronizing afterword by Peggy
Parish.  I can't believe we're raising a generation of readers who are
assumed to have no understanding of how to read an historical text.

Melissa Proffitt