Missed another one

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 09:28:20 EST 2003

Hallie:
 I think it's a
> bit strong to say that you "realised" the thing "was" a McCarthyite
> allegory...

Yeah, well I did say I was exaggerating for effect! You should hear me
exaggerate in real life - it drives my wife crazy. You're right too that Meg
tries some other recitations as well as the GA and the Declaration of
Independence (it's that not the Pledge - just checked). But those choices of
text aren't coincidental, and given the timing of the book (1963), and its
extended rhetoric about the difference between being 'equal' and being
'like', I find a Cold War reading hard to escape, and narrowly insistent
enough to detract from my enjoyment of the rest.

I may be totally wrong, of course, as far as M L'E's actual intentions were
concerned (I haven't read Walking on Water).

Charlie