Enforced Absence

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Feb 10 08:08:24 EST 2003

>Or should that be abstinence?
>
>Hi everyone, I'm just recovering from a very
>nasty bout of sciatica which left me unable to
>sit or stand for a number of days  so no
>computer, telly, reading, smoking (couldn't make
>roll ups) eating or stroking the cats. it's been
>horrible. Thank goodness for all the kind friends
>who've been looking after me and the doctor who
>prescribed codeine over the phone!
>
>After a couple of days I was able to read (and
>smoke and eat a bit) by lying across the bed with
>my head hanging over the edge! I've been
>rereading harry potter IV and changing my mind a
>bit (of which more, hopefully anon, but I'll just
>say the disappointment I felt on rereading the
>first couple was not repeated).
>
>I can sit a bit now and I've been for a walk up
>to the corner of the main road so I guess the
>worst is over, now I've just got to catch up with
>seventeen digesst and replies......

Sorry that it's necessary to add to the volume in order to send you
commiserations and speedy recovery wishes, but it is!  A few days
without being able to read sounds truly terrifying.   If I'd been
nearby, I would have to read to you (I read Persuasion to my mother
when she had heart surgery - that would have helped you towards a
speedy recovery, no doubt!).  Madeleine L'Engle wrote somewhere or
other about one of her grandchildren (I'm pretty sure it was a
grandchild) hospitalised and in severe pain and only being able to
stand it when read to constantly.  They did it in shifts, I think.

Hallie.