Translations (was Re: Racism)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Mon Feb 10 04:58:09 EST 2003

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 02:57:52PM -0000, Caleb wrote:
> Translations of the Bible are probably actually getting closer to the
> original meaning - I was reading about a new translation which makes a big
> thing of sticking to the precise wording of the text rather than trying to
> give a more comprehensible sense of the meaning, so as to avoid the
> translators' interpretations of the meaning being imposed upon the text,
> sensibly enough.

I have a sneaking suspicion this kind of thing goes in cycles.

But as we have a bona-fide translator on this list -- Gili, Gili!
Albeit translating DWJ isn't necessarily going to be like translating
the Bible, since Modern Hebrew isn't the same as Ancient Hebrew, but
still -- what kind of problems have you run into Gili, in translating
fiction, in the tension between the literal meaning, and conveying the
interpreted sense of the text?

Kathryn Andersen