Missed another one

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 04:51:07 EST 2003

Widdy:
> I would be remiss if I didn't add one more book to my list of
> favourites. I was just down scanning my bookshelves and realized that
> I hadn't added Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" to my list. I
> think I read this almost as much as I read Earthsea and Harriet.

Can't agree there. I read this just a few years ago, under the impression
(you can see why) that it would be a time fantasy. I enjoyed the first two
or three chapters - Charles Wallace a good creation - but my Enjoyometer
dipped sharply when we got to that wearisome set of whimsical witches called
Why and What and Wherefore (or similar). And it started sending out blue
sparks when I realised that the whole thing was a (and I exaggerate only
very slightly for effect) a McCarthyite allegory of the Cold War which
taught the only way to avoid a life of mindless uniformity (communism) was
by constant recitation of the Gettysburg address and/or the Pledge of
Allegiance (free and indendent thought).

The book may have had one or two redeeming features: it had that winning
feature, a sister rescuing a brother, which I always like for some reason.
But on the whole I was very disappointed.

Charlie