Eco, Dickens, who else?

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Feb 10 04:25:41 EST 2003

Melissa replying to Robyn:

>>>The
>>>experience was great on another level, because it helped me get over my
>>>feelings of inadequacy at not liking Dickens.  :)  Clearly I hadn't reached
>>>that level of maturity yet.
>>
>>Not liking Dickens is a sign of a highly developed mature literary taste,
>>in my opinion. Just because a pot boiler is 150 years old doesn't make it
>>any less of a pot boiler.
>
>I sure hope it's a sign of mature taste, because I don't think I'll ever
>appreciate Dickens.  It feels too much like work to me.

ARGH!  I go off to bed, exhausted from a couple of days of what has
become virtually running a hospital ward, and wake up to find this.
Melissa, I thought at least you'd be consistent in not letting people
dismiss writers and books this way. :-)

And just to attempt to make you feel properly guilty (assuming that
the fact that I like Dickens, and think the way he used popular
traditions of the time was great, is nowhere near enough to
accomplish this), I offer you a quote from the dread Leavis:

	We may reasonably... see some Dickensian influence in
Conrad's use of melodrama, or what would have been melodrama in
Dickens; for in Conrad the end is a total significance of a
profoundly serious kind.  The reason for not including Dickens in the
line of great novelists  is implicit in this last phrase.... The
adult mind doesn't as a rule find in Dickens a challenge to an
unusual and sustained seriousness.

Does that accomplish the task?

Hallie