Literary pet peeves

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 10 00:52:19 EST 2003

>Most, if not all, surviving medieval maps are intended
>to depict theological concepts or show pilgrimage
>routes, and they are not the sorts of maps we can
>follow, although i assume they meant something at the
>time, they probably functioned as memory aids.

I would argue strongly against your "pilgrimage route" comment, but I don't
think I can do it without getting complicated. Mappamundi are a chapter in
my thesis, and I did a lot of research on possible uses and readings. I
actually think, briefly, that maps like the Hereford one you have a link to
are about how to see the world, but they exist within a theological
framework. On the other side of the coin, there is a whole 'nother
theological issue about why "how to get there" maps would not have been
created.

Robyn