J. Fitzgerald (was Re: OT Childhood favorites)

Mon Feb 10 00:39:18 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 03:43:45 +0000, christian nutt wrote:

>>From: Melissa Proffitt This happened to me with _Name of the Rose_, where I
>>tried reading it at 15
>>and couldn't get it, and read it two years later and loved it.  The
>
>to reign this discussion back in, that acutally happened to me with fire and
>hemlock.
>
>when i first encountered LOCC -- i was 11 or 12 -- i loved it. and then read
>charmed life and loved *that*. i took fire and hemlock out of the library
>and read it but didn't relate.
>
>several years later after i'd become more into DWJ i picked it up again and
>thought it to be wonderful. but i can see why i didn't relate to it very
>well as a younger reader.

That's why I'm so glad I didn't pick her stuff up when I was younger.  I
began with _Howl_ when I was 17 and then _Fire and Hemlock_ right after, and
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have appreciated that nearly as much even three
years earlier.

Melissa Proffitt