Eco, Dickens, who else?

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Mon Feb 10 00:37:56 EST 2003

>>This happened to me with _Name of the Rose_, where I tried reading it at 15
>>and couldn't get it, and read it two years later and loved it.
>
>Have you tried Eco's newest novel, _Baudolino_? It is much more like
>the Name of the Rose than any of his other novels. I loved it,
>mainly because the topic of the novel and my PhD thesis have some
>massive areas of overlap. I felt a bit like he was writing the book
>for me, particularly. Anyway, my husband liked it too - he liked
>Foucault's Pendulum as well, which I did not.

I adored "The Name of the Rose". I read it in my second year of
college while I was taking a Latin course and relished in being able
to translate the Latin quotes - which, from what I remember, is what
you have to do to figure out the title of the book (my memory may be
very faulty, it's been a while!).

"Foucault's Pendulum" on the other hand, I didn't quite finish. I
mean that literally. I read it until I was about 30 or 40 pages from
the end and decided that I just didn't care and that I'd wasted
enough time on it already. So I put it down. I may go back to it
someday.

widdy

--
Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net