Lunacy

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 22:14:14 EST 2003

--- Jacob Proffitt <Jacob at Proffitt.com> wrote:
> ---Original Message From: Jon Noble
> >
> > Yes where did this menstruation = moon thing come
> > from. I assume women in the middle ages could
> count,
> > and they would certainly have noticed (if they
> were
> > the traditional 28 days) that their periods didn't
> > coincide with any particular phases of the moon. I
> > know the english word month comes from moon and
> the
> > english word menstruate comes from the latin for
> month
> > but I don't think that has anything to do with the
> > moon.
>
> Since the cycle of the moon is 29 days, I'd say that
> a typical menstrual
> cycle is much closer to lunar than anything else is.
>  I have no trouble
> understanding how the two cycles became interwoven.
> Months are strange,
> actually.  If you do the math, you could have 13
> months of 28 days each and
> be one day short of a full year.  So to me, it'd
> make more sense for us to
> have 13 months of 28 days with one heck of a
> new-years party stuck somewhere
> interesting...

Yes but that extra day (day and a half is nearer)
would quickly make a difference, you'd be half a month
out after a year. There has been some talk of new year
on another list I'm on. January 1 was only adopted as
New Years Day in Britain in the middle of the 18th
century. before that Ladies Day (March 25) was
traditional, but there were plenty of variations. In
Australia bankers and accountants still celebrate New
Year on July 1, and in other parts of world other
dates are used. The muslim new year cycles through the
year as they use a Lunar calendar. Some calendars
combine lunar and solar elements (chinese), as does
the determination of Easter.

Jon