Eco, Dickens, who else?

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 9 20:46:33 EST 2003

>This happened to me with _Name of the Rose_, where I tried reading it at 15
>and couldn't get it, and read it two years later and loved it.

Have you tried Eco's newest novel, _Baudolino_? It is much more like the
Name of the Rose than any of his other novels. I loved it, mainly because
the topic of the novel and my PhD thesis have some massive areas of
overlap. I felt a bit like he was writing the book for me, particularly.
Anyway, my husband liked it too - he liked Foucault's Pendulum as well,
which I did not.

>The
>experience was great on another level, because it helped me get over my
>feelings of inadequacy at not liking Dickens.  :)  Clearly I hadn't reached
>that level of maturity yet.

Not liking Dickens is a sign of a highly developed mature literary taste,
in my opinion. Just because a pot boiler is 150 years old doesn't make it
any less of a pot boiler.

Robyn