Suzette Haden Elgin

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 9 20:42:56 EST 2003

>"No one had picked up her language & used it"? Considering the
>difficulties--the ones that you pointed out, & also the fact that it's
>harder to learn a language when you can't get classes & things in it--wow,
>that was kind of nervy. I met her at a con & she seemed kind of peppery.
>;)

Well exactly. I was pretty taken aback, having just expressed a mild
opinion about the book, to get this semi-flame from her. She basically said
"I'd explain why I wrote the 3rd book the way I did, but you wouldn't
understand" with the implication that I wasn't up to her intellectual
level. So I wrote back and persuaded her to explain. I got the impression
she would rather just be in a snit than have a dialogue about the language.
Cos I said to her that I recognised I wasn't a professional linguist, but I
do speak 2 languages and read 4-5 more (3 of them "old"), so it wasn't like
I had no idea *how* to learn a language. So I thought my comments had some
value. I mean, I wasn't saying things like "it's too hard to learn a new
set of vocab".

>If you're looking for something like the women sf&f list, you might try
>the feminist sf/f & utopia lists, if you haven't already (I'd unsubbed a
>couple times in the past, tired of flames & general snottiness, but it
>seems to have mostly calmed down):
>http://www.feministsf.org/femsf/listserv/

This was the list! It was a few years ago, and I think it must have died
for a while. I stopped getting messages, and I couldn't subscribe again or
find any info. It was a pretty contentious list at the time, too.

Robyn