Lunacy

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Sun Feb 9 20:31:38 EST 2003

---Original Message From: Jon Noble

> Yes where did this menstruation = moon thing come
> from. I assume women in the middle ages could count,
> and they would certainly have noticed (if they were
> the traditional 28 days) that their periods didn't
> coincide with any particular phases of the moon. I
> know the english word month comes from moon and the
> english word menstruate comes from the latin for month
> but I don't think that has anything to do with the
> moon.

Since the cycle of the moon is 29 days, I'd say that a typical menstrual
cycle is much closer to lunar than anything else is.  I have no trouble
understanding how the two cycles became interwoven.  Months are strange,
actually.  If you do the math, you could have 13 months of 28 days each and
be one day short of a full year.  So to me, it'd make more sense for us to
have 13 months of 28 days with one heck of a new-years party stuck somewhere
interesting...

Jacob Proffitt