Actually Garth Nix now (was Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies))

Sun Feb 9 20:09:13 EST 2003

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 18:51:23 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>> I didn't realize Nix was being pushed as
>>anything other than a YA writer; it's certainly where all his books are
>>shelved in our library.
>
>Ours too. I often don't understand what makes one fantasy novel YA and
>another one "adult"; Nix's books are a lot more adult in writing and
>concepts than, say Mercedes Lackey, who seems to be classed as "adult".
>Lackey's books often have very young protagonists, so that can't be the
>determining factor.

I wonder about "adult content" since Lackey does seem to take on things like
sexuality, rape, abuse, and so forth.  But even that seems a little
simplistic.  From what I can tell, the protagonist's age isn't the
determining factor any more; Card's Ender books, and the first few books of
the Alvin Maker series, as well as _Songmaster_, all have child
protagonists, and are all adult fiction.  They must look at age as well as
content and theme and maybe style.  Wish I knew.

>>Have I ever mentioned that I chose _Sabriel_ for my reading group and NONE
>>OF THEM LIKED IT?!?!  You can see they have some major flaws that I am
>>trying to correct.
>
>Try correcting them with a sword.

Wouldn't that be great!  I know where I can get my hands on a double-headed
flail....  :)  They're interesting ladies.  For a while I was really
uncomfortable about being there, because I'm about 15 years younger than
they are and I talk a lot (big surprise, neh?).  It seemed that nobody else
expressed their opinions and I was afraid it was my fault.  Then a few
months ago, one of them told me she was so happy I was there, because I
always had such well-reasoned things to say!  And because there was someone
else in the group who was Highly Literate and tended to be dismissive of
everyone else's lowbrow tastes, only this person was less vocal when I was
around.  So I guess I'm useful after all.  :)

>One of the reasons my book group
>disintegrated was that my best pal and I agonised for ages and then spent a
>good deal of energy getting copies of Native Tongue by Suzette Haden Elgin.
>We love this book; although it has flaws, it also has some great concepts
>in it. Anyway, the rest of them hated it, and couldn't discuss it on a
>decent intellectual level. It was really the beginning of the end. We never
>dared suggest DWJ for fear of what might happen.

I'm so sad for you.  It's too bad because even if you hate a book, you ought
to be able to explain why, or discuss it reasonably, or listen to the
opinions of the people who liked it.  There's almost no book so bad that you
can't learn something from it.  (Except _Tathea_.  And _The Eye of Argon_.)

Melissa Proffitt