Rude drivers (was Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies))

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun Feb 9 17:12:40 EST 2003

>--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>  I had to give a lecture on this book when we taught
>>  it as part of a
>>  medievalism course, and I came across a fantastic
>>  rant about it, which
>>  isolated the repetition of the phrase "moon dark
>>  bleeding" as holding all
>>  the faults of the book (bad writing, faulty
>>  feminism).
>
>Yes where did this menstruation = moon thing come
>from. I assume women in the middle ages could count,
>and they would certainly have noticed (if they were
>the traditional 28 days) that their periods didn't
>coincide with any particular phases of the moon. I
>know the english word month comes from moon and the
>english word menstruate comes from the latin for month
>but I don't think that has anything to do with the
>moon.

I think you're forgetting the usual association of the moon with
lunacy, and the belief that women's menstrual cycles made them very
prone to mental instability.  Today I was just reading about the use
of "flowers" as the most common name for menstrual cycles in
Elizabethan England.  Sweet, innit?

Hallie.