Rude drivers (was Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies))

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun Feb 9 16:47:53 EST 2003

>  > so what's your take on people who stop in doorways, in front of stairs
>  > and  escalators, etc?

It's funny, this doesn't bother me at all near as much as rude
drivers.  I think it's because you can communicate with a person
blocking a door, stairs, the pasta sauce, etc, while there's
*nothing* you can do to someone following you far too closely except
make obscene gestures (which probably won't even be noticed).  I
regularly threaten to develop a flashing message which goes across
the rear window saying "Stop following so closely!" (yeah, that's the
extremely edited version).  I think a second message should say that
a warning having been given, the next action will be to stop
unexpectedly, but that's so much writing that it'd probably cause an
accident anyway.

My other pet hate is people who honk at you for NOT blocking
intersections in rush hour.  I guess they really believe that their
making it through that one traffic light is far more important than
everyone else's ability to get anywhere.  This doesn't usually happen
at marked cross-hatched intersections, but does everywhere else, and
makes me wild.

Hallie.