Literary Pet Peeves

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 15:07:33 EST 2003

--- Gili Bar-Hillel <abhillel at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >ObDWJ...actually not so much, but more on topic.
> My pet peeve of >writing
> >styles is when an author uses a phrase so many
> times it >becomes trite in
> >his/her books
>
> Okay, not that V.C. Andrews was ever a great
> literary persona. But for the
> past ten years or so any book that has been
> published under her name was
> actually written by some other writer, since AFAIK
> she died a decade ago,
> and the editors of these new books apparantly felt
> that the greatness of
> V.C.Andrews lies precisely in her overuse of
> particular phrases. Therefore
> the later books that were written under her name out
> Andrews Andrews.
>
> I went through a phase of reading all her books. I
> read most of them during
> the Gulf War - or should I say, the *first* Gulf war
> <shudder> - when all of
> Israel was effectively housebound for several weeks
> (at the same time my
> mother knit three sweaters which she has never done
> before or since then).
> One of the books contained a "teaser" promotional
> chapter of a later book. I
> managed to get hold of the later book, too, so I
> have two versions of the
> same chapter that can be compared. The editing
> basically reduced the
> vocabulary by at least 20 percent; for example,
> since a hallmark of Andrews'
> is that daughters refer to their mother as "Momma",
> no other possible way of
> expressing maternal connection was permitted in the
> later books, regardless
> of who the speaker was or even if the word was used
> in direct or indirect
> speech. Unbelievably, the editing process actually
> managed to make the
> chapter worse than it had been before - unbelievably
> because it had been
> pretty awful to begin with.

I have seen the name of the man (??) who writes the VC
Andrews (and IIRC most of the Virginia Andrews) books.
I feel sorry for him. He is probably constrained never
to deviate from the style of the original few books,
so we have an author who's style is frozen and unable
to develop.
Hey, maybe that's what happened to David Eddings!
Perhaps he actually died after the first book and
someone is impersonating him, churning out a new one
every year, all exactly the same. Actually Eddings has
written two books. "The loosers" is very different
from his fantasy - he must have been quite bitter when
he wrote it.

Jon