J. Fitzgerald (was Re: OT Childhood favorites)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 9 14:23:21 EST 2003

>I could not bring myself to reread any E. Nesbitt books, and I used to
>love them. I don't think this is a result of my becoming a more
>sophisticated and discerning reader over the years (though there are
>definitely authors I would now reject on those grounds as well, such as
>Enid Blyton); I think I've just distanced myself too much from her style.

This is interesting. I agree with your comments in principle, and there are
plenty of authors I used to enjoy that I won't reread for the stylistic
reason, but I have to say that Nesbit is actually an exception. I still
find her Bastable books laugh out loud funny on the sentence level. Plus I
quoted from the Wouldbegoods in my thesis on the Canterbury Tales.

Robyn