Literary pet peeves

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Sun Feb 9 11:53:09 EST 2003

>Doesn't Mercedes Lackey overuse "damn" & italics a ton?

I haven't read her recent work either, but I do remember thinking, when
I was reading her, that somebody should disable the underscore function
in her word processing program. (Most editors that I've encountered
still hold to conventions dating from the invention of the typewriter,
so you have to underline words that you want them to italicize in print.)

I think my pet peeve is the Instantaneous Background Dump. "As you know,
Stephen, you and Matilda have been at war over the crown of England
these many years..."

My husband's is the point-of-view switch in mid-paragraph. I believe he
still treasures a copy of a particularly crummy novel in which the
author managed to switch point of view in mid-*sentence*.

And, of course, there's the Really Glaring Anachronism. He came home
from a business trip once and woke me up at three AM to babble about the
complete and utter awfulness of a best-selling historical novel he had
bought to read on the plane. I forgave him when he pointed out that it
was set in ancient Greece and that in the middle of the book the
characters refer to a *blueprint* of some building. (And no, it was not
a time-travel novel. It was a Serious Historical Novel that has gathered
many good reviews and is recommended reading at West Point to help the
students understand classical warfare. Go figure.)

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com