J. Fitzgerald (was Re: OT Childhood favorites)

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Sun Feb 9 11:45:45 EST 2003

> My thoughts are that children are more tolerant readers because in a
> sense, they are unskilled readers.

I think children are more tolerant for a number of reasons. They may put
up with flawed premises because they don't yet know much about how the
world works. If they're just discovering science fiction, every story is
brilliant because it's the first time THEY have ever seen that
particular idea explored. And, of course, children who are destined to
be lifetime compulsive readers (like most of us on this list) frequently
work their way through everything available without discrimination.
 There are books I loved as a child that I am afraid to reread now
because the memory of reading them is almost certainly better than the
reality of reading as an adult. The Cloister and the Hearth. Westward
Ho. Everything Rafael Sabatini ever wrote.

I went on a rediscovering-Dumas spree recently and decided that The
Three Musketeers doesn't hold up too well but that The Count of Monte
Cristo is still a pretty good book.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com