Rude drivers (was Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies))

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Sun Feb 9 09:59:36 EST 2003

>so what's your take on people who stop in doorways, in front of
>stairs and escalators, etc? that's one of my biggest pet peeves and
>one of the most prevalent forms of pure rudeness these days --
>people get immediately outside of a doorway and having left it
>behind pause to do whatever they were intent upon, blocking the
>egress to anyone behind them. this happens a *lot*.
I only have this problem with people with whom I am...it drives me
nuts.  I think it's terribly rude, and as a result am forever doing
things liking grabbing my boyfriend by the arm, gritting my teeth and
squeezing out a phrase like "get OUT of the doorway.  NOW, please."
Definite pet peeve.  And since we're discussing rudeness anyway,
minor pet peeves anyone?
ObDWJ...actually not so much, but more on topic.  My pet peeve of
writing styles is when an author uses a phrase so many times it
becomes trite in his/her books -- for instance Piers Anthony almost
always refers to hands and feet as upper and lower extremities.  He
does this occasionally multiple times on a page.  Or Marion Zimmer
Bradley, who, in _Mists of Avalon_ referred to one character as a
charicature of another *every time* he entered a room.
-RDG
--
Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for