Rrude behaviour

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Sun Feb 9 07:14:04 EST 2003

We've had OnlyMe drivers, and people who suddenly stop in accessways.

I'm far-sighted, and I've lost count of the number of times I've been reading
something on a noticeboard, or even been scanning the olive oil section in
Sainsbury's for #4 Fruity, when someone has come and stood *exactly* in front
of me, and presumably started doing something similar. Of course, people
passing in front of me is par for the course, but this behaviour makes me
seethe.

Is there a polite all-purpose reflexive phrase I could train myself to use
instead, whenever this happens? Do I just tap the person on the shoulder
and say "I'd just got to 'across the street'. Could you read on from there,
please?" or "Could you kindly hand me olive oil #4 Fruity? Thank you so much."

Tanaqui