Rude drivers (was Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies))

Ms Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Sun Feb 9 02:40:41 EST 2003

Re oblivion, I don't think it's rude especially if people are genuinely in their own little world and show genuine remorse and don't do it again.
An account of odd interpersonal relations follows: I was at a big second-hand book fair recently (no DWJ apart from 8 Days of Luke which I already have - very disappointing because I found the Tough Guide at the last one) and crowded in with all the people around the children's book tables. Suddenly a women leaned across in front of me to grab a book. I don't have a problem with that, it's pretty common and it's lucky if you can keep track of which arm is yours - it's nice to see so many rabid book-lovers. But she also shouldered me in the ribs. I apologised, as I do whenever someone steps on me, and she said "I did it on purpose because you were leaning right in front of me." I have no recollection of doing so, and wouldn't dream of doing it knowingly - I am a very placid person, even though books do tend to send me into a separate and rarefied universe into which nothing else penetrates - other than shoulders. I certainly didn't try to wind her. Wouldn't it have been enoug
h for her to say "excuse me" when I did? And then someone else, a very nice lady with children in tow who didn't know either of us, walked up and apologized to me on behalf of the other woman, so I made sure I kept them between us. Put a damper on the day.
And why do people walk up down escalators talking to the people on the up escalator? I don't mean meeting long-lost relatives halfway, but deliberately getting on at the bottom? Because if it's at a train station and you're loaded with luggage as I usually am, you have to wait for them to hike all the way to the top before you can get on.
Anyway, rant over. Most people are very considerate.
Kathleen.