LOTR slang

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Sat Feb 8 23:50:38 EST 2003

In a message dated 2/8/2003 3:46:23 PM Pacific Standard Time, Jon Noble
writes:

> Getting back to LOTR the closest other reference to a
> naughty word is in the name of Sam's cousin (?) Hal
> which is Halfast = Half arsed.

I've read that theory before, and it has never made any sense to me, since
Halfast is pronounced Hal-Fast, not Half-Ast, and it doesn't seem at all
Tolkien's sort of joke (I don't mean because it's rude, I mean because the
language sounds wrong). I thought half-assed was an American expression,
anyway, and half-arsed would be pronounced quite differently.

Helen Schinske